Jon M. Huntsman School of Business

learn about the latest and greatest from the School of Business

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Learning to "Dare Mighty Things"

When I walk into the doors of the business building every morning, I note three words on three banners: “Dare Mighty Things.” The first time I had ever observed those words was the first day of this semester. What do those words mean? How do you “Dare Mighty Things”? The Jon M. Huntsman School of Business is summed up in those three simple words.

The word dare means to have the necessary courage or boldness to try or to venture. I have only been attending the school of business for one semester now, yet I feel the challenge to dare. Constantly, almost daily, I am challenged to attempt something that I haven’t ever attempted before. I gain courage from these small experiences that I feel prepare me to dare for the rest of my life.

According to dictionary.com, anything that is great in amount, extent, degree, or importance is mighty. Daring is not enough to change the world. Daring to achieve goals that are great in extent, degree and importance is mighty. The difference is made when the effort and courage, daring, is coupled with the vision to accomplish exceptional, mighty, things.

When students are taught not only skills but how to “Dare Mighty Things” with those skills, true education is taking place. A classroom cannot and teachers can only attempt to stimulate learning. However, ideas and lofty goals both stimulate and encourage learning. Why not change the world? “Dare Mighty Things.”

Daniel D. Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment