Jon M. Huntsman School of Business

learn about the latest and greatest from the School of Business

Monday, July 18, 2011

"Global Vision" on full display at U.S.-China conference

Last Thursday and Friday, I was able to attend parts of the U.S. & China Trade, Culture & Education Conference. I heard from Gov. Gary Herbert, former Sen. Bob Bennett and four prominent Chinese politicians. I also heard from several other professionals in government, business and academia.

Utah Gov. Gary Herbert
I got a lot out of the experience, and it was very rewarding to interact with so many wonderful people from China. But for the purposes of this blog post, I want to focus on this quote from Gov. Herbert: “…It’s easy to see the future of business is in the international arena.”

We at the Huntsman School of Business hear about this principle repeatedly. One of our four pillars is “Global Vision,” and we have some incredible study abroad opportunities that students can participate in at a relatively low cost. As someone who has traveled internationally with the School, I can say with confidence that the School is doing more than just talking about global vision.

A lot of what I learned at the conference was right in line with what I have been learning about in my three years at the Huntsman School. Business can be so much more rewarding – both economically and culturally – when done in the international arena. It’s one thing to say you understand the importance of this principle, but it’s an entirely different thing to actually put forth effort to become more globally aware.

Connor Child

No comments:

Post a Comment