Jon M. Huntsman School of Business

learn about the latest and greatest from the School of Business

Monday, March 26, 2012

The pros, cons and reality of phone interviews

I really love Logan, but there are not a lot of entry-level jobs in my field here.

Now that I’m done with school, I am applying for some jobs in Ogden and Salt Lake, but most of the jobs I apply for are so far away, I have to do initial interviews over the phone.

Paul Lewis Siddoway
I have never had music for callers to listen to instead of the standard ringing. Whenever I get an incoming call from someone whose number I don’t recognize, I just answer with a normal “hello.”

I recently read an article in the Salt Lake Tribune by Anita Bruzzese who talked to Paul Bailo, the founder and CEO of Phone Interview Pro. He confirmed some of the things I am doing are right on track, and had a lot of great advice for when you are going to have a job interview over the phone.

The reality of looking for a job in this ever-shrinking world is phone interviews are becoming more commonplace.

I feel like I cannot be as personable over the phone and I can’t read the interviewer's non-verbal cues, but I can have their website up on my laptop and have a list of things I want to make sure I talk about ready to go, which are some reasons I prefer to have phone interviews.

Besides, that way I can pace if I start to get nervous.

- Paul Lewis Siddoway

No comments:

Post a Comment