Jon M. Huntsman School of Business

learn about the latest and greatest from the School of Business

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A True Huntsman Experience


By Steve Mortenson, 2013-14 Business Senator 
Steve Mortenson
When I realize that my time at the Huntsman School is coming to an end, I am hit with a rush of conflicting emotions. Sure, I am a little sad to be leaving Logan, but I am very excited to enter the real world, and when it comes down to it, I feel quite prepared.

This feeling of preparedness is thanks to countless professors, advisors, deans and other staff members who have donated time out of their busy lives to benefit my education. My professors have done more than just prepare lectures. They have spent time in their offices with me, emailed back and forth at all hours of the day and helped me understand my potential and dreams. Dave Patel, assistant dean of students and external affairs, has taken valuable time to teach me lessons of leadership and how to motivate others to find their dreams. My academic advisors have surpassed expectations by really getting to know me. Every time I meet with them, it is like catching up with an old friend.

The Huntsman School also has many programs that have helped prepare me for my future. I have been on several career exploration trips that have helped me clarify my goals and understand the different options available in my field of study. I have also been involved with the business council, which is a group of very passionate students willing to serve. The council has worked hard to help students find their niches and get involved around the school.

The Huntsman School has also given me numerous opportunities to go beyond the classroom. This semester I am part of a group that has been tasked to help Pepperidge Farms remove waste from their production lines at their facility in Richmond, Utah. In my sales class I have had the opportunity to shadow a sales professional and reflect on their tactics of selling. This model of real world experience holds true for most of my classes, especially thoseI have taken my senior year.

I cannot think of a better place to have completed my undergraduate education. The opportunities I have had while studying at Utah State are second to none. I am so grateful for all of the hard-working individuals who have made my experience a true Huntsman Experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment