• We are planning on ten new classrooms in the building.
• There will be a nice student lounge.
• We plan to accommodate our students with a café.
• We will have a “resource library” with a quiet study area.
• There will be two rooms for meetings and VIP receptions. One will be larger than the O.C. Tanner lounge on the ninth floor in our current building, and the other will be an executive board room for 25-30 people.
• We will convert the classrooms that are sometimes called “the caves” in rooms 317 and 319 in the Eccles Building into office space, freeing up more room in the new building for new, state-of-the-art classrooms.
• Most of our faculty offices will remain in the Eccles Business Building. We will probably need to move one department of faculty offices to the new building.
• The Orson A. Christensen Auditorium, Room 215 in our business building now, will remain our largest classroom.
The architects also proposed a really cool idea for what the building might look like, but I’m going to save that information for next week. Here’s a teaser, however. It’s a unique design unlike anything we have discussed or envisioned before. Stay tuned for more information next week.
- Ken Snyder