Jon M. Huntsman School of Business

learn about the latest and greatest from the School of Business

Monday, September 26, 2011

A possible path to the bobble-headed dolls industry

For some reason, I'm in a speech class. I think it might have something to do with my minor. My professor is just great. The other day I went to her office to talk about an assignment. Somehow that turned into a conversation about job searching.

The ultimate goal for any student is probably to get a job. So we submit as many applications as we can, hoping that we'll get an interview. The more interviews we get, the more assured we can be that we'll actually get a job.

Paul Lewis Siddoway
This is an age where most jobs do not come from employers posting a job and waiting to see who applies.

I already wrote about networking once. Networking helps cut down the job search. You have everyone you know looking for a job for you. It's not a bad way to do it. Ideally you want someone in the industry to let you know of a job opening. Let's face it, your mother probably doesn't know when a marketing firm is hiring. Or even which is a good marketing firm to apply for.

However, in my conversation with the professor of my speech class, who also teaches an interviewing class, lightning struck my brain.

There is a way to cut out the middle man and network all at the same time.

Let's say I am a marketing student and I really love those bobble-headed dolls that you stick on the dashboard of your car. Well, then I should call up a company that makes those and make an appointment to talk to one of the guys in their marketing department, just to find out what it is like to work for that kind of company. Who wouldn't want to help a student? And just like that I get an interview. And since I'm the one who's asking the questions, I can ask things I probably couldn't get away with asking in a job interview.

And there's a bonus. I can network with someone in the industry. If their company has openings, I've already had face time with them, which gives me an advantage over anyone else that's applying. Even if that company doesn't have any openings, they probably keep tabs on their competition. Or the guy I met with probably has friends I could talk to in other companies.

To me, this seems like a brilliant idea. Now I plan on setting up interviews with all the bobble-headed doll companies I can find. I'll let you know how it goes.

Paul Lewis Siddoway

No comments:

Post a Comment