Jon M. Huntsman School of Business

learn about the latest and greatest from the School of Business

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

"When am I ever going to need this?"

I have been a college student for almost four and a half years now. I have taken classes in subjects from all over the academic spectrum, from history of the civil rights movement (an excellent class, by the way) to social media to calculus II.

Connor Child
In almost every class I have ever taken, I have heard at least one of my classmates complain that the information being taught is worthless as it pertains to practical use. "When am I ever going to need this?"

I can't say that I have never asked this question myself, but I can assure you that I have never had any doubts regarding this matter while attending the Dean's Convocations that are frequently held at the Huntsman School. I know it sounds corny, but I sincerely mean it. Every so often, the Huntsman School will invite a dynamic individual with a wealth of experience to speak to our students and community free of charge. In every instance, the featured speaker has provided me with new insight into how I should approach my education and future career.

This Friday (Feb. 17), Thomas Donaldson will be the Dean's Convocation featured speaker. He will be speaking from 12:30-2:00 p.m. in the auditorium of the business building. Donaldson is a professor at the Wharton School who has a strong background in business ethics. On Friday, he will present on a paper he wrote titled, "Three Ethical Roots of the Economic Crisis."

I can't think of a more time-relevant subject to learn about. I look forward to seeing you there.

- Connor Child

No comments:

Post a Comment